Monday, June 23, 2014

Writing "nice" ain't so nice

As I'm working on the next arc of Accidental Demon Slayers (plus a little something else) I am finding myself struggling with something.  I can't write "nice".  I can write dark and scary, mean and nasty and on occasion inappropriate and kind of sexy (and dirty), but nice is a struggle for me.

Does that mean I don't push forward?

Oh, trust me, I have considered starting over, but really, what would I gain?  I mean, I could rest on what I'm comfortable with, but what growing would I really do if I played it safe?  Anyone who thinks they know everything about anything is a fool.  We are always learning, always growing and one of the best ways to grow is to challenge yourself.  Plus, I'm already twelve parts in.

So, I'm keeping up with my original plan.  While Daughter of Darkness had its own struggles, those were more about content and how far to push things.  This new arc (and that little something else) is a whole different kind of struggle, but one that I will face head on.

Wish me luck!

Also, to any one out there who wants to write.  This is a perfect little lesson for you.  We all have stories that we are drawn to, and naturally those are the stories we tend to create.  Sometimes, though, you have to take a risk, and dive head first into new territory.  Do it.  Take the jump, and take the risk.  You have nothing to lose, not really, and everything to gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment