Friday, August 1, 2014

Accidental Demon Slayers: Melody of Light pt. 2


When I got home I found Kurt and Ashtyn both sitting on the couch, spaced out looks on their faces. 

“Training already.” I couldn’t help but smile.  In one month they had both mastered entering the mindscape.  “Well, might as well join them.” 

I plopped down on a chair across from Kurt, and closed my eyes.  At first there was only darkness, and then a soft, white light began to shine, followed by the sound of wind moving through trees.  There was a thunk as a bamboo fountain tipped, splashing its contents into a small pond. 

In a matter of seconds the whole scene became clear. 

A Japanese garden stood before me, a small temple just beyond it.  Tall, green trees surrounded everything, and the garden itself was lush and alive.  Little bursts of color broke through with the small clusters of flowers that dotted the space. 

“They are getting more creative.”  Juktha was standing next to me, smiling.  “It’s nice to get some time with you when there isn’t a crisis.” 

“When isn’t there a crisis?” I laughed. 

“Come on, they’re waiting for us.”  Juktha started down the small stone path towards the temple. 

I followed behind her, taking in a deep breath.  I could even smell the air, damp and fragrant of flowers and moss. 

“I have to ask, even when the three of us aren’t together, can you still spend time with Tabitha and Doctore?”  I caught up to her, nearly tripping on a stone in my half assed jog. 

“If we chose to, yes.  We aren’t just trapped in your minds, you know.  In this realm, our realm, we are free to move as we see fit.”  As Juktha spoke she motioned her hand towards the garden.  “I have to say, it is nice to have some company.  No offense.” 

“None taken.”  I smiled, and we both stepped into the temple. 

Inside the room was large, and sparsely decorated.  Off to one corner there was a small table, where Kurt and Doctore sat playing chess.  In the center of the room Ashtyn and Tabitha were sparring, Tabitha with a long sword, and Ashtyn with her fan blades. 

“I see that they are adjusting nicely.”  I stayed by the doorway, watching Ashtyn as she dodged a strike from Tabitha, using her fan blades to catch the long sword. 

“It’s an escape, for them, and for us.”  Juktha’s smile faded.  “While in this realm we take our immortality for granted.  Being reminded that once in the human world we are just as vulnerable as everyone else can be very sobering.  Especially for young deities, such as my daughter.” 

“I know she barely knew Grath, but how did she take seeing him…” I didn’t want to finish the sentence. 

As monstrous as Grath was, the memory of his gruesome death still made him ill. 

“She doesn’t talk about it.”  Juktha glanced at me.  “I don’t think she fully understands it.” 

“You finally made it!”  Kurt’s voice drifted across the room.  He looked at me, smiling. 

Doctore looked away from their game for a brief moment, and waved.  His movements were slow and delicate, hiding the strength of his powers. 

I walked over to Kurt, kissing him gently on the lips. 

“So, I have a little announcement to make.”  I glanced over at Ashtyn, and her and Tabitha paused their battle.  “It looks like Max is taking all of us on a vacation.” 

“A vacation?”  Tabitha looked at me, confused.  “Do we get to go?” 

“Well, if I’m going, you’re going.”  Ashtyn closed her fan blades, and gripped them in her hand. 

“Looks like we are all going to get a little sand and sun.”  I knew I should have sounded more enthusiastic, but part of me felt guilty about the trip. 

Our friend had died, and here we were going to the beach.  It felt somehow wrong, and yet, looking around the room, at all the battle worn faces looking back at me, I knew it was necessary. 

“Well, seeing as how Tabitha and Doctore have gotten so good at creating new environments, we may be taking a little break ourselves.” Juktha put her hand on my shoulder.  “It is earned, Bobby, and needed.” 

I had to remind myself that, even in the mindscape, Juktha was till privy to my thoughts. 

“I guess it is.”  Her words didn’t ease my guilt any. 

“Checkmate.”  Doctore clapped his hands together, cackling with glee.  “Never take your eyes off a battle, young man.  Trusting that your enemy will honor your break leaves you open to attack.” 

Those words seemed to hang in the air like a bad omen. 

“What?  What did I say?”  Doctore glanced around the room, his bushy, white eyebrows raised, making him look like a child who didn’t realize he was about to get into trouble. 

“Nothing.”  Kurt smiled, patting the old man’s hand.  “How about another game?” 

“I will never turn down a challenge!”  Doctore smiled, stroking his long, white beard.  “We have been paired well, young man.” 

I took a breath, cleared my head, and decided that I needed to be grateful for moments like this.  In our world, peace wasn’t a guarantee. 

No comments:

Post a Comment