Monday, November 17, 2014

Knowing when to pull the plug...

If you look up at the tabs for pages you may notice that something has changed.

Yes, I have changed the tab for Accidental Demon Slayers: Alternate Lives. Why?

Well... I am going to be totally honest.  I have grown to hate that game. I mean, really hate it.  The original idea was good, but by the end the game had become such a mess that I couldn't in good conscience release it as it is.  Even with most of the game actually completed.

So, why would I not release something after working for so long on it? I don't want my name, or the Accidental Demon Slayers name attached to something that I feel is subpar.  It's as plain as that.  I love the characters and the world of ADS, and I do not want to put something out that may damage what I have built.

The other issue is that the story in Alternate Lives started forming not long after I completed the first game.  At the time, the story made sense, and would have opened up a whole new side to the mythology.  Then I started working on the serials, and the world started to grow, and the story direction changed.  Suddenly I was finding that the story in Alternate Lives no longer fit into the ADS world.

So, I'm starting from scratch.

What can I tell you about the new game?

Right now, not a thing. I'm still figuring it out, and also trying to figure out how I'm going to get it done with the little free time I have.  If I had a team, making a visual novel would be a whole lot easier, but right now it is just me, and between work, school and maintaining some semblance of a social life while also trying to get some sleep, makes giving a game the time it needs very difficult.

So, I apologize for pulling the plug on Alternate Lives, but it had to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment