Monday, January 27, 2014

Accidental Demon Slayers: Experiments in Darkness pt. 15


When I woke up I found myself lying in the very uncomfortable bed back in my quarters.  I turned my head and saw Kurt sitting next to me.

“You’re awake!” Megan’s very high pitched, chipper voice seemed to cut through my head.

The young nurse rushed over to my bedside, and quickly began to check my pulse.

“That little brain dive took a lot out of me.”  I tried to sit up, but I found I was still too weak.

“Did you learn anything?” Kurt gently ran his fingers through my hair.
“More then I expected.”  I flinched when I felt a needle prick my arm.  I glanced down, and saw Megan drawing blood.

“Standard procedure.”  She held her free hand over her heart.  “Scout’s honor.”

“Megan,” I watched as she pulled the needle from my arm. “How did you end up here?”

“Well,” Megan wandered away from the bed, taking that syringe filled with my blood with her.  “I was one of the top students in my class.  One of my professors recommended me to Dr. Duguard, and then... poof!  I’m out of college, and over at Yamada labs playing the sexy nurse.”

Kurt glanced at her.  “If you were studying to be a nurse, then why choose here?”

“Not a nurse, silly.”  She placed the syringe filled with my blood into a small, silver case.  “I was studying to be a geneticist.”  She turned around, and glanced down at the outfit.  “This is just my uniform.  All the new recruits have to wear them.”

“That seems really inappropriate.”  A finally managed to sit up with Kurt’s help.  “Couldn’t you have gotten work somewhere else?”

She sighed.  “Yamada is the best.  Globally the are recognized as the top company in pharmaceutical, medical, biological and genetic research.”  She tugged at her skirt, trying to make it cover more then it was ever intended to.  “This is what you do to build a name for yourself.”

“So... what is it like to work with Dr. Duguard?”  The girl seemed open enough, so I thought maybe she could give me a better idea of what was going on here.

“She’s a cold hearted bitch, but a smart one!”  She finished her sentence with a smile that would make the coldest heart melt.  “When you spend as much time locked away in windowless labs, with almost no human contact, you tend to grow a little cold and distant.”

Even after a short conversation it was obvious that the last words to describe Megan were cold and distant.  She seemed to be a genuinely happy person, and considering the way the rest of the staff at the lab had been acting, I found it refreshing.  

The pager hooked to a small belt loop on Megan’s outfit started to vibrate.  She pulled it free, and gave the small screen a glance.

“Looks like I’m needed in the viewing room.”  She re-clipped the pager to the belt hook.  “I’ll be back in a bit to check on you, okay?”

“Don’t worry.”  Kurt reached out, giving my shoulder a squeeze.  “I can handle this one.”

“You two are so cute!”  With a slight giggle Megan grabbed her bag, and headed out of our quarters.

Follow her!

Juktha’s voice seemed to scream through my brain.

“What is it?”  Kurt glanced at me, his calm look replaced with one of concern.

Don’t let her go to that room!

I winced in pain, my hand clutching my head.  “We need to go after her.”

Carefully I stepped off the bed, and started towards the door.  I felt Kurt’s hand grip my shoulder.

“Where do you think you’re going?”  Kurt turned me towards him.  “You are way too weak to be out of bed.”

“Juktha thinks she’s in trouble.”  I started to turn towards the door again.  “We have to go after her.”

“But...”  I could feel Kurt’s grip tighten.

“If you are with me, then I’ll be safe.”

He sighed.  “Fine.”

We both headed out of our room, and into the maze of hallways.  Hopefully we hadn’t wasted too much time.

No comments:

Post a Comment