Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Eye See You: Infection pt. 31

When I awoke again I was in a hospital room.  Pink-orange light drifted in through the half open blinds of the window. 

For a few moments I was able to forget about everything. Then, in a wave, it all came crashing back, the weight of it all nearly crushing me.

How had things gotten so out of control so fast? The original game had been bad enough, but it was more localized.  Now things had grown, and even the Unknown Sender had been unable to control it. 

The Unknown Sender… He was nothing more than a shell now. He had a name at least. Albert May. It sounded like the type of name that got you beat up in the playground. It was the kind of name that faded into the background, and no one ever noticed.

Now he was making sure they noticed, even if they didn’t know his name.

“Glad to see you’re awake.”

I looked up to see Dina standing in the doorway of my room.  She had a large bruise on her head, and her hair was now pulled back in a purple scarf.  Her clothes had been replaced with a hospital gown and cheap blue robe. 

She shuffled towards me, the hospital issue slippers sliding across the slick floor.

“I was worried about you.” When I spoke the words I was shocked at how much I meant them.  The idea of losing Dina scared the hell out of me, and bruise aside, she looked like she was doing okay.


“I was worried about you, too.” She smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment