Monday, February 10, 2014

Accidental Demon Slayers: Experiments in Darkness pt. 19


I stood there, looking down at Megan.  Her body was convulsing, fighting the change that was threatening to overtake her.  Her mouth opened and closed silently.  She was losing the battle.  I didn’t have any more time.

I felt Kurt’s hand in mine.  His touch seemed to instantly ease the pain in my ribs.  The cuts on my back stopped throbbing.   Even with the battle I knew I had to face lying, literally, right in front of me, I suddenly felt calm.

“It’s not safe.”  His eyes were locked on mine.

“She’s going to lose if I don’t do something.”  I gave his hand a squeeze.  “I love you.”

“Don’t.”  He pulled closer to me, placing his free hand on my cheek.  “Don’t say it like you aren’t coming back.  You are coming back.”

“I can’t promise anything.”  I could feel the tears threatening to spill down my cheeks.

“I wish I could come with you.”  He kissed me.  “I wish you didn’t have to do this on your own.”

The sound of low, rumbling laughter drew our attention towards Megan.  She was looking at us, or at least, I think she was.  Her eyes were gone, replaced with smooth skin.  She was smiling.

“How sweet.”  When Megan spoke her voice was a cruel rasp.  “You want to play, too?  I can make that happen.”

Before I could respond I felt a mental tug.  I started to lose focus, the world around me going fuzzy.  The room started to spin.

“Kurt... I...”

For one brief moment my vision became clear, and I could see that Kurt was feeling the mental tug as well.

“The more the merrier.”  Megan started to cackle.

With Kurt’s hand still gripped in mine, I passed out.

***

Ashtyn ran down the hall, Elizabeth trailing behind her.  She didn’t know why, but the closer she got to her destination, the stronger the electric feeling in her body became.

“What the hell is going on with you?”  Elizabeth grabbed Ashtyn’s arm, pulling her to a stop.

“If I told you that some strange voice in my head was telling me to get to the lab, would you believe me?”  Ashtyn whipped around towards Elizabeth, yanking her arm free.  “Now, we have to get...”

“I know what you mean.”  Elizabeth was looking at her, smirking.  “I hear those voices, too.”

“What?  Then why’d you stop me?”  Ashtyn took a step away from Elizabeth.  Something about the look in the other woman’s eyes made her uneasy.

“Ever since we saw the spore, I’ve been hearing him.”  Elizabeth placed her finger on her temple.  “He told me to stop you.”

“He?”  Ashtyn’s stomach dropped.

“He’s very powerful.”  Elizabeth took a step forward.  “He promised me something.  Something I’ve always wanted.  All I had to do was get you to stop.”

“Elizabeth, you can’t listen to him.  He’s desperate.  He’s...” She felt Elizabeth’s finger press against her lips, cutting her off.

“He wanted me to give you a message.”

“We don’t have time for this.”  Ashtyn pulled away, starting back down the hall.

“He said ‘Welcome to the party.’” Elizabeth didn’t move.

Without warning the world seemed to jerk to the side, knocking Ashtyn off her balance.

“What did you do to me?”  Ashtyn tried to use the wall to hold herself up.

“Not me.”  Elizabeth was watching her.  “Him.”

Ashtyn’s knees gave out, and she fell to the floor, the hallway seeming to fade in and out of focus.
“Have fun, Ashtyn.”  Elizabeth stood in front of Ashtyn, looking down at her.  She was smiling, her arms crossed over her chest.

“Fuck you.”

The hallway began to spin, to fade away into a pit of endless nothing.

Elizabeth nudged Ashtyn with her boot.  The girl was still breathing.  She was just out cold.  Just like he had told her.

Now all she needed to do was finish the plan he had given her, and he would give her the reward.

He would give her power beyond her wildest dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment