Friday, February 21, 2014

Accidental Demon Slayers: Experiments in Darkness pt. 22


As we stepped into the house we were swallowed up in darkness.  It wasn’t just dark, it was pitch black.  I couldn’t see my hand when I raised it directly in front of my face.  I stood still, afraid to move.  Who knows what I would run into, or what I could fall off of?  For all I knew, I was standing at the edge of a large cliff, over an endless pit. 
There was a flicker of light in the distance.  Then another, a few feet away from the first.  The light was soft, warm.  It flickered.  I squinted.  It was candlelight.  Another candle lit itself, then another, making its way around a wide, circular path, moving towards us.  Each flame revealed a bit more of the room.  The tattered wall paper, the chipping paint.  The room, at some point, must have been beautiful, but Grath’s influence was already causing a vicious rot to spread.
“Megan?”  I called out.  The only reply I received was my own echo. 
“What is this place?”  Ashtyn was wide eyed, taking her surroundings in.  I had to remind myself that she had never been inside someone’s mind before. 
“This is Megan’s mental landscape." Juktha sounded weakened. She leaned against a large, chipped pillar.  "There is something very wrong going on here.  I... I..."  She looked like she was having trouble breathing.  

"Juktha, what's the matter?"  I rushed to her said, catching her just as her knees buckled.  

"I don't know how," she looked me in the eye, her face pale, "but he's draining my power."  

"You forget that we are connected, my dear, sweet wife."  Grath's voice through the room.  

We all turned, watching as two parallel rows of candles burst into flame, one right after the other, moving up a wide, grande staircase.  Grath stood at the top of the steps.  Megan, her hands held behind her back, was standing next to him.  She too looked weakened.  Her skin was pale and droplets of sweat ran down her face.  

"That bond was broken long ago!"  Juktha tried to stand, but she was too weak, and instead she fell to her knees.  

"Once bound, never undone."  Grath laughed.  "Your power is my power."  He looked down at Megan.  "This one, she's a strong one.  Thanks to you, I know have enough strength to finally possess her."  

Megan screamed as a strand of barbed wire snaked out of the floor, and began to wrap itself around her ankle, and up her leg.  

"What do we do?"   I knelt down next to Juktha, and attempted to get her onto her feet.  I glanced from Kurt to Ashtyn, searching for a solution, an idea.  Nothing.  

"I... I don't know."  Juktha looked at Grath, defeated.  

Had we really just helped him destroy Megan?

No comments:

Post a Comment