Friday, September 12, 2014

Accidental Demon Slayers: Melody of Light pt. 14


I found Clare in a lounge chair next to the large, crystal blue pool.  I was shocked at how beautiful the place was.  Usually resorts like this were cheesy, but this place even managed to the pool look like a work of art.  The pool itself was a wide oval, with a beach style entrance, and volcanic rock lining the far end.  Tucked away, hidden behind a rock wall, was a waterfall that splashed down in a hidden lagoon.  There was no music at the pool, just the relaxing sound of the waterfall crashing into the pool below. 

I sat down in the chair next to Clare, the hot plastic of the lounge chair stinging the back of my exposed calves. 

“Pretty, isn’t it?” I shielded my eyes from the sun, watching as the well toned and tanned guests of the hotel swam across the mirror like pool of water.  Suddenly I felt very grateful to still have my shirt on. 

“Yep.”  Clare turned her head.  “It feels off, though.  This whole place does.” 

I hated to admit it, but she was right.  It wasn’t anything obvious, and I would hardly call it sinister, but there was something in the air that just felt strange.  Maybe I was just being too sensitive.  I mean, everywhere I went strange things happened.  It could be that I was just looking for something that wasn’t there.

“You need to find out a way to turn that off, Clare.”  I leaned back, letting the shade of an over sized beach umbrella block the sun from my eyes.  “We all do.  For once we just have to let ourselves not be on high alert all the time.” 

“It’s when you turn it off that something happens.”  Clare sighed.  “Damn it, you’re right.  It’s not just that, though.  I just…” 

“You feel bad that you’re here, enjoying a tropical paradise, after witnessing the brutal death of one of your co-workers, who just so happened to be one of your friends?  Yeah, I know that feeling, too.”  I glanced at her.  “Putting your life on hold won’t bring Brittany back.  Anything short of a black mass and a blood sacrifice won’t bring her back.” 

“I wonder what happens to demons after they die.”  Clare sat up, reaching into her back and pulling out a bottle of sunscreen.  “Do you ever think about that?  How many demons have we killed?  Were do they go after we’ve violently evicted them from our realm?  Back to their own worlds?” 

“I… I don’t know.  I guess it makes sense that they would return to their original realm.” I honestly hadn’t thought about it that much, and even trying to wrap my head around the idea of a demonic afterlife made my brain ache. 

“I wonder if Ashtyn has anything in her databases.”  Clare looked out over the pool as she started putting sunscreen on her arms.  “I’ll have to ask her when we get back to Chicago.” 

“Hey,” I could already tell where Clare’s mind was going.  “No messing around with that stuff.  Black magic is a bad idea.  You’ve seen what that shit can bring down on people, and what it does to the person who calls on it.” 

“I’m just curious.”  She shrugged.  “It’s not like I would actually try any rituals or anything.  I’m not dumb.” 

No, I thought to myself, you’re just desperate to undo the one thing that you had no real control over. 

“Just focus on the here and now, okay?  Focus on the fact that you are currently in one of the most beautiful spots in the world, and the person who brought you here is incredibly handsome, and most likely head over heels in love with you.” 

At the mention of love, Clare blushed.  “Yeah…” 

“What was that?”  I reached out, gently poking her reddening cheek.  “Are you… Oh my God!  I don’t think I have ever seen you blush.  So I take it the love crazy is reciprocated?”

Clare just nodded. 

“Did you tell him?”  I couldn’t help but prod her a little.  This subject was much more location appropriate than possible black magic rights to raise the dead. 

“Yeah.”  Clare laughed.  “I didn’t mean to.  It just kind of, slipped out.  I’m glad I did, though.” 

“How long?”

“Huh?” 

“How long have you known that you love him?” 

She put down the bottle of sunscreen and sat back.  “A couple of months, I guess?” 

“I predict wedding bells!”  I was actually getting giddy.  I hadn’t felt like this in a long time.  Hunting demons tends to take the levity out of life. 

“You first!” She laughed, smacking my leg. 

“Eh.” I shrugged.

“Eh?” Clare looked confused. 

“Don’t get me wrong!  If he asked, I’d say yes in a heartbeat, and obviously, the legal part of it is mucho important, but I don’t need some ceremony to prove to Kurt how much I love him.” 

“And what makes you think that I’m going to be rushing into some legally binding, archaic contract?” She cocked her finger at me like she was shooting a gun, as if to fire a bullet through my prediction. 

“It’s not so much you, as him.”  I sat up.  “He strikes me as the old fashioned type.  Don’t ask me why, but he does.  So, if he asked…” 

“Oh God, please change the subject.” Clare covered her face with her hands. 

“Fine.” I giggled.  “So, you think any tentacle creatures live on this island?  I mean, we are right next to the ocean.  Seems kind of perfect for them.” 

Clare glared at me.  “Tentacles?  Really?” 

We both started laughing.  We laughed so hard that our sides hurt.  It felt absolutely amazing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment