Monday, March 3, 2014

Accidental Demon Slayers: Experiments in Darkness pt. 25


We all sat in the lab, still worn out from the fate that had taken place in Megan’s mind.  Kurt was at my side, his hand resting on mine.  His touch calmed me, healed me.  It almost made me forget what had happened to me when I had been too weak to fight Grath.

I shuddered, trying to push the memory from my mind, to bury it away someplace dark and deep and never think of it again, but no matter how hard I tried the sensation of being completely and totally helpless still settled over me like a dark cloud.

“Thank you.”  Megan was sitting across from Kurt and I.  Ashtyn was wrapping a bandage around the cuts on her leg.  “I... I don’t know what I would have done if I had become one of those things.”

“You’re safe now.  We all are.”  Ashtyn finished bandaging Megan, and took a seat next to her.

“You made sure of that.”  Kurt gave Ashtyn a smile.  “Thank you.  You stepped in not a moment too soon.”

“Are we?” I spoke without thinking.

“Are we what?”  Ashtyn looked at me, confused.

“Are we really safe?  You heard what Grath said.  He still has disciples out there, working to make him stronger.”  I took a breath, unable to stop the words from spilling out of my mouth.  “This is much bigger then we ever thought.  This is... this is...”  I buried my head in my hands.

I was exhausted, humiliated.  I just needed to get out of that lab, and back home.  I needed to forget that any of this ever happened.

“Where are Steven and Elizabeth?  Where’s Doctor Duguard?”  Megan was looking around the lab.  “You would think they would have seen us wake up on the security monitors by now.”

I looked at Kurt.  A chill ran down my spine.

***

We found Dr. Duguard in her office, propped up in her chair, her chest cut open.  Written on the wall behind her, in what appeared to be her own blood, were the words “Grath shall rise.”

After that Megan checked the security footage, and what I saw made my blood run cold.  Steven and Elizabeth had walked out of this lab with one of the spores.  They had taken a part of that... that bastard with them, out into the world.

The rage that built up inside of me was almost uncontrollable.  Not only had I let that son of a bitch get the upper hand on me, I hadn’t been able to keep him contained.  All because my power was so reliant on someone else.

Without Juktha I was nothing, and when it came to Grath, I was powerless because she was powerless.

I wanted to scream.

No comments:

Post a Comment