Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Ramblings of Tired Man

I'm always so scared to post stuff about the serials and the game on here.  Why?  Well, because I'm not doing any of this stuff professionally, life can sometimes get in the way of me getting things done.  Still, I'm pushing forward on getting things done.  Obviously, the serial is much easier to create than the game, hence the major delays on Alternate Lives, and yet the constant stream of serial updates. I'm also finding myself enjoying working on the serial more.  That doesn't mean I won't make any more games, but it does mean that my attention has shifted. 

Creating the games is fun, but the stories I write are restricted by the medium of the visual novel.  You would think that multiple paths would open a story up, but for me, the creator, it actually limits me, because I have to give up a great deal of control in the how the story is directed.  Also, the practical limitations, such as my time and artistic ability (which is growing, I must say.  Guess school is paying off) limit what I can create in the games.  For the serials, however, the canvas is blank, and I get to use my favorite tool, words.  I get to use words to create the images, the characters, the settings.  Even though there is no visual component, to me it feels like I'm creating a much more vivid picture.  

I'm still planning future games.  The main issue with that is time.  I don't feel the quality of my material is great enough to charge people to play.  One day, after I gain some more experience, and learn how to work within the medium of the visual novel in a more comfortable way, I might create something that I feel is worthy of being sold, but for now I'm just doing all of this because I love telling stories, and thanks to games like Eve Burst Error and Divi-Dead, I love visual novels.  I just wish it was easier to make them.  If I had a team, and not just myself, it would obviously be easier, but outside of my friends, who are equally as busy, it is hard to find talented strangers who are willing to work for free just because they like what I wrote.  

Now, that is not to say that I am not enjoying creating the world of Accidental Demon Slayers.  I am loving what the stories are becoming.  As I grow more comfortable with the characters and the creatures that inhabit their world, I am finding myself delving deeper, and figuring out the wonderful mythology behind everything.  I am enjoying exploring some of the characters more, such as Clare and Brittany, and giving them life.  These stories are my escape from the day to day, boring adult world that I have somehow found myself stuck in.  For me, writing these stories is like hiding away when I was a kid and creating over the top adventures with my action figures and dolls.  While obviously I put this stuff up here because I want others to experience these stories as well, I am also doing this for myself.  

As I grow older I find myself losing my sense of play a little bit more every day.  I mentioned playing with my action figures and toys.  When I was a kid I would create these elaborate, twisting and turning plots and have them act them out.  I can still remember some of the adventures I would construct.  I am pretty sure that now, as I near thirty, if I sat down with a bunch of action figures I wouldn't even know where to start, and would probably give up out of sheer embarrassment.  Writing the Accidental Demon Slayers stories is a way for me to keep that sense of play alive.  It keeps a part of me, that part that would create disaster movie stories in my Little People Parking Garage play set, up and running.  Adult life does it's best to snuff out that playfulness.  This blog, these stories and games, are my attempt at keeping that flame burning inside of me for as long as possible.     

I don't know how many people read the blog regularly, but if you do,  I do want your opinion.  Does that mean I'll change the entire path of the serial based on a few comments?  Probably not.  I do write the serial way in advance (Daughter of Darkness is completed up to pt. 16 as of right now), but I am always thinking of new arcs, and ways to incorporate characters from the game that haven't made the cross over to the serial yet (as well as characters from the serials who haven't shown up in a game yet.) I also just want to know if you're liking it.  So, please, tell me what you think in the comments section below.    

No comments:

Post a Comment