Monday, July 21, 2014

Accidental Demon Slayers: Daughter of Darkness pt. 39


Once Ujin was dead, the dolls stopped moving, and the thrones released the deities.  All the magic he had put into place was gone.  The dark cloud was lifted, and Fantasy Land was no longer the house of horrors it once was, and was not just like any crappy amusement park that still littered small towns in America. 

Even after everyone had left, and Juktha had rejoined with Bobby, and Tabitha had rejoined with Ashtyn, Kurt stayed behind.  This was the first time he had ever seen his deity, and that night he had almost lost him. 

“So, this is what you look like.”  Kurt looked over the old man.  His white beard seemed to curl at the tip, and his hands were bony, with long, thing fingers.  His face was wrinkled and worn, but more importantly, it was kind. 

“Are you disappointed?  I may not be as visually appealing as Tabitha or Juktha, but I promise you, I will serve you well, my boy.”  Doctore smiled, holding out his hand. 

“You already have.”  Kurt reached out, taking Doctore’s hand in his.  “Thank you for helping me save my boyfriend, my friends.” 

“That was all you, Kurt.”  Doctore smiled.  “I just gave you the tools.  You were the one who did the hard work.” 

“I have to ask, why me?”  Kurt looked down at his hands, which were still covered in dried blood.  “Why did you decide to reside in me?” 

“You have touched the divine, you have experienced the hellish.  Your mind was ready, and the Scribes saw fit to give you a companion to help guide you through the unnatural and supernatural world you find yourself so constantly thrown into.”  Doctore looked down the long corridor that led out of the temple.  In the distance they could both see the golden glow of the sun starting to rise.  “You and your friends have many battles ahead, and I am here to aid you in that fight.” 

Kurt nodded.  “Good to know.” 

Doctore motioned towards the corridor.  “Come, your friends are waiting for us.  We can talk later.” 

Kurt started down the long corridor, and as he walked, he could feel Doctore’s essence join with him again.  While it still felt strange, it also felt right. 

***

On the boat ride back, Clare didn’t say much.  She just sat there, Max at her side.  She was exhausted, yes, but even worse, she was heart broken.  Brittany hadn’t been the first friend she had lost, and she knew she wouldn’t be the last, but it still hurt. 

It hurt even worse because it finally seemed like Brittany was starting to adjust to being in the human realm.  She was connecting with people.  She… she was actually happy about meeting a guy.  Then, in one moment, that life was snuffed out. 

“You okay?”  Max looked at her, their eyes meeting. 

“No.”  Clare barely croaked out the word before the sobs threatened to start again. 

“What are you going to do?”  He brushed a few strands of hair from her face.

“I don’t know.”  Clare wiped a tear from her cheek.  “Keep fighting, I guess.”

“Well, if you need anything, you know I’m there for you, right?”  He smiled, kissing her gently on the forehead. 

“Max,” she glanced up at him.  “I don’t want to be alone tonight.” 

“Then you won’t be.” 

He kissed her, softly.  It was a small, simple kiss, but it was enough to calm her down.  It was enough to help her make it through the rest of the boat ride.  Now she understood why Bobby needed Kurt so badly.  Having that person there, having someone you care about, and who cares about you, made it all that much harder, but also, that much easier.  It gave you a home, a place to look forward to. 

When she glanced at Max, part of her wondered if he could be that person.  At that moment, with all the TV gloss and Hollywood glamour stripped away, she thought that maybe he could be. 

***

Rico sat on the edge of the van, unsure of how he had even gotten there.  The last thing he remembered was some crazy lady slashing at his next, and then he was there, sleeping in the back of the van, not a scratch on him. 

He thought about possibly getting help, but he couldn’t leave.  He needed to be there when they all got back, when Brittany got back. 

He had no idea where things were going with her, but part of him was hoping that maybe, just maybe there was a chance for something.  It would be difficult explaining to his very Catholic mother the whole ‘dating a demon’ thing, but they could deal with that battle when they got to it.  Well, if they got to it.  He was already planning his future with her, and he had no idea how she really felt. 

A thick, morning mist hung over the park, obscuring his view of the fairway.  He squinted, hoping to make out the form of someone, anyone.  He just needed to know what was going on.  The not knowing was driving him crazy. 

Finally he saw the forms of people moving towards him through the fog.  It had to be them!

“Guys!”  He was up, waving his arms over his head.  “Guys, what happened?  Did you…” 

The words were ripped right out of his mouth when he saw the looks on their faces.  They were all battered and bruised, exhausted.  They were… they were short one. 

“Hey, where’s Brittany?”  He glanced around the group.  She wasn’t there. 

Max left Clare, and walked towards him, walked him away from the group, and towards the van. 

Once they were alone, Max spoke.  “Rico, I’m so sorry, but…” 

He felt that knot form in his throat.  “Don’t.  Do not tell me what I think you are going to tell me.  Please, just don’t.” 

“Rico…” Max’s voice quivered slightly, betraying his calm look.  “One of them got her.  She… she didn’t make it.” 

“No.  No, no, no, no.”  The word just kept repeating.  He couldn’t believe it.  He didn’t want to believe it.  Brittany was the pro at these things.  She was the one who was supposed to come back, unharmed. 

She wasn’t supposed to die.  Their story wasn’t supposed to end like this. 

***

I winced when I heard the anguished scream come from behind the van.  It hadn’t fully hit me yet, the whole blur of the battle was still clouding my mind. 

I knew it would, though.  Maybe it would be when we got home, or when I went back to the office, and she wasn’t there, at her desk, complaining about how we never took her out on jobs. 

I glanced at my friends, at my boyfriend.  Another battle down, and another piece of our soul damaged.  These jobs seemed to get worse and worse, and the more we fought, the more damaged we became. 

How long would it take for this wound to heal?  Would it ever actually heal? 

I knew I had no choice.  I knew I had to fight.  No one was forcing me, but if I didn’t fight… If we didn’t fight, then who knows what would happen to the world.  They had lost so much in that battle, and looking back, I had not taken much joy in seeing Grath struggle.  I thought I would have.  I thought seeing him die horribly would make all the pain he caused me go away. 

It didn’t.  Now that pain was worse.  I couldn’t shut down, though.  Not like last time.  This was not just my pain.  This was our pain, and I needed to be there for everyone else, the way had been there for me.  We were a team, a family, and the only support we truly had in this world was each other. 

“You ready to go home?”  Kurt put his arm around my shoulder, pulling me close to him. 

“Yeah.”  I nodded, and we both climbed into the car.  

No comments:

Post a Comment