Friday, October 3, 2014

Accidental Demon Slayers: Melody of Light pt. 20


A figure stood at the top of the steps, his features blotted out by darkness.  There was something, though, a brief glimmer of dark light that seemed to come from his eyes.  It was there, and then it was gone. 

“What in the world is going on here?”

The voice was male, and familiar to Ashtyn.  It was the accent. The figure stepped out of the doorway, and onto the first step.  Rita raised her flashlight, aiming it straight for the man’s face. 

“Please, direct that somewhere else.” Q lifted his hand, shielding his eyes.  “What are you all doing down here?” 

“Q?”  Ashtyn took a step forward. 

“Mr. Quint!”  Max brushed past her, and started up the stairs.  “I am sorry.  We were waiting for you when part of my crew got a little curious, and…” 

“Is everyone okay?” He smiled, and Ashtyn could feel her heart skip a beat. 

“Yes, yes.  Everyone is fine, I just…” Max glanced back at everyone.  “We should get outside.” 

Once they had all made their way out of the cellar, and away from that disturbing angel, Ashtyn found herself alone with Q on the front porch.  They watched as Rita began to unpack the equipment, and Max and Liz quietly argued around the back of the van. 

“Fancy meeting you here.” Q laughed, leaning back against the house. 

“So, you’re the owner?” Ashtyn looked him over.  She had so many questions, especially about why there was an odd black pool in the cellar of the house he owned, but she couldn’t form a single one. 

He was amazing to look at, for sure, but now Ashtyn was realizing just how dangerous his beauty could be.   At that moment he could have ordered her to take a dip in the black waters of the temple pool, and she would have willingly stripped down and dove in. 

“It belonged to my mother.” He looked away from her when he spoke. 

“So, you’re the son from the legend.” She cracked a smile, but seeing the sad look on Q’s face, she instantly regretted it. 

“Depends on which legend you believe, I guess.”  He still didn’t look at her. 

“I’m guessing you aren’t happy about a film crew coming in here and digging up all those old stories.” Ashtyn glanced back at the van, and the equipment. 

“Not entirely, but the money they are paying me is going towards repairs and upkeep for the house, so I allow it.” He glanced back towards the open door. 

“Maybe this is your chance to tell her side of the story.”

“Hopefully.” Finally, he looked at her, his eyes meeting hers.  “Not tonight, though.  I need to get back to the hotel.  You should, too.  I wanted to have my handyman come in and prepare the place for the crew before you started filming.  As you found out first hand, the house isn’t in the best shape.” 

“You never actually told me what you do at the hotel.” Ashtyn did her best to change the subject.  She was secretly hoping for another glimpse at that perfect smile of his. 

“I’m the lead programmer on their vocaloid.”

“Vocaloid?” She tilted her head to the side, confused. 

He finally smiled, laughing softly.  “A holographic pop star, and The Hideaway’s star attraction.  I guess you could say she’s my baby. You should come to the show tonight, I can get you seats right up front.” 

So that was what Bobby had been talking about, she thought to herself.  “And my friends?” 

“Of course.  What better press then to get a famous TV host at my show?” He stepped away from the house, and started towards the van.

“Mr. Quint…” Max rushed over to Q, Liz right behind him. 

“Please,” Q held up his hand, “call me Q.” 

“Q, I am so sorry about what happened.  I understand if you want to cancel our contract, but please reconsider.” 

Ashtyn stayed by the house, watching and secretly enjoying the show.  Max was usually so cocky and sure of himself.  She was sure that what she was witnessing at that very moment was a rare sight to behold. 

“It’s fine.”  Q patted Max on the shoulder. “But no filming in the house tonight.  I want my people to go through first, to make any repairs needed so that today’s events won’t repeat themselves.” 

“Of course, of course.”  Max was nodding vigorously.  “We’ll just shoot the introduction, and save the rest until you’re ready.” 

“I have a better idea.”  Q’s arm slipped around Max’s shoulder.  “How about you and your crew come back with me to the hotel, enjoy yourselves for the night, and then tomorrow you can get a personal interview with the ‘witch’s’ son.  Does that sound good?” 

“Even better!” Max let out an uncomfortable laugh, and Ashtyn noticed that he was also avoiding Liz’s gaze. 

“I’ll help you load your gear into the house, and then we can start back.” With a healthy pat on the back, Q headed towards Rita and started helping her lift some of the large, black camera cases. 

“As much as Max drives me nuts, I have to say, he has a way with people.” Liz was standing next to Ashtyn now. 

She couldn’t help but jump a little.  How had Liz snuck up on her like that?  She suddenly felt a chill run down her spine as she remembered the look on Liz’s face, the way she seemed almost entranced by the statue of the bone winged angel. 

For a brief moment Ashtyn could sense that same cold, oppressive essence that she had encountered in the basement and then, just as quickly, it was gone.

Liz was looking at her funny.  “Everything okay?”

“Yeah…” Ashtyn took a step away from Liz. “I should… I should go help the others.” 

As Ashtyn made her way towards the van she was very sure that Liz was watching her the entire time.   

No comments:

Post a Comment