Monday, October 20, 2014

Accidental Demon Slayers: Melody of Light pt. 25


They had all been ushered out of the theater quickly after the power had gone out, and Ashtyn took that moment to escape out onto the giant stone patio at the back of the hotel.  The concert had been fun, but after a day spent in a creepy old house, followed up by whatever the hell had happened at the concert, she needed some fresh air.  Just as she was sure that the others felt it, she too was feeling uneasy about their current situation.

“You okay?” Rita’s voice came from the archway that led into the lobby. 

Ashtyn turned, doing her best to smile.  It wasn’t easy, not with the growing knot in her stomach.  “I’m fine.  Just worn out.” 

“Hasn’t exactly been the ideal vacation so far.”  Rita walked towards her slowly.  “I’d say you must be used to it, but I don’t think anyone can really ever get use to… this stuff.” 

Ashtyn laughed.  The sad part was, she was used to it.  It didn’t make it any easier, but at this point in her life, she had come to expect the odd and dangerous to come barging in whenever it could.  She knew Rita was knew to the wonderful world of demons and other dimensions, but her introduction had been a crash course.

“It never seems to go away.” Ashtyn shook her head.  “No matter how far you run, it always seems to find you.” 

“That’s why I stuck around.” Rita walked up to the short, stone railing that surrounded the porch, and leaned against it.  She looked out past the large, lush garden, past the tropical forest that surrounded the property.  Her eyes seemed to fix themselves on the moon that hung in the starry sky above them.  “After… well, after I found out about my father I had the realization that this stuff is in my blood.  I could bury my head in the sand, but I knew it wouldn’t matter.” 

“Rico ran.” Ashtyn stepped closer to her.  “You could have followed him.” 

“Rico didn’t see what I saw.” Rita looked at her. “He didn’t find out what I did.”

Tears welled up in Rita’s eyes, but she laughed and wiped them away.  Ashtyn reached out, her hand resting on Rita’s shoulder. 

The poor girl had seen true evil, and that evil had been the very man who had given her life.  She had never known her father, had never even met him before Fantasy Land, but he was still a part of her.  Up until now she had always seemed so put together, but Ashtyn knew that deep down she was trying to deal with something that no one else could understand.

Their eyes met. 

Rita leaned forward quickly, her lips pressing against Ashtyn’s.  The kiss held for a second, two seconds, time seeming to stretch out.  Ashtyn pressed back, returning the affection.  When the kiss finally broke, a silence fell over the two of them. 

Rita spoke first.  “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have…” 

“It felt nice.” Ashtyn leaned in, bumping Rita’s shoulder with her own. 

“Going to shoot me down, right?” Rita glanced at her. 

“Let me process first, and I’ll let you know.”

“It’s not an instant rejection, so at least I have that going for me.” Rita laughed, looking out across the garden.  Her eyes went wide, the smile falling from her face.  “Hey, isn’t that the guy from the plane?” 

Ashtyn strained her eyes, and she could see a figure running towards the forest.  It did look like Q, but she was only getting brief glimpses when he broke from the shadows of the large shrubs and trees.  He was holding something, cradling it against his chest. 

“You think we should check it out?” Rita was already making her way towards the stairs leading down to the garden. 

“I guess so.”  Ashtyn was right behind her. 

Both women took off in a sprint, doing their best not to trip as they made their way through the garden.  Ashtyn took the lead, her body given a little extra speed with Tabitha’s influence, and in no time she was only feet behind the man she had seen running. 

It was Q.  He was panting, and Ashtyn could hear choked sobs escaping him in quick bursts. 

“Q!” She called out his name, not sure if that was the correct move.  What if he was a threat?  What if he was THE threat? 

He stopped, whipping around.  His eyes were red rimmed, and tears stained his cheeks.  Clutched against his chest was a large, round crystal, a strange glow buried deep in the center of it. 

“Please, just leave me alone.  I need to… I need to get out of here.”  He was backing up, almost to the line of trees that led into the forest. 

“Listen, I might be able to help you.”  Ashtyn took a step towards him.  Her senses were on high alert.  She could hear Rita catching up. 

“You can’t help us.”  He shook his head.  “She’s back, and no one is safe.  Not me, not Aria.  Not even you.” 

Us?  Did he just say us?  And he was talking about Aria as if she was a real person.  Her eyes fell on the crystal again, and that strange glow seemed to flicker, then dance around the edges of the crystal.  What exactly was in that thing? 

“You’d be surprised at what I’m capable of.” She took another tentative step, “and what I’ve already faced.  I’m…” the words felt odd coming out of her mouth, “I’m part of a team of Demon Slayers.  The real deal.” 

Rita was at her side now, panting loudly.  “She’s not lying.  I’ve seen what her and her friends can do.”  Rita choked down a mouthful of air, and stood up straight.  “They saved my life.” 

“You can help?” He moved closer.  “Really?” 

“We can try.”

“Then follow me.” He turned towards the woods.  “We aren’t safe at the hotel.  I have a… a safe house in the forest.  We can talk there.”  Without another word Q stepped into the line of trees, seeming to vanish into the shadows. 

Ashtyn glanced at Rita, and then the both followed him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment