Friday, May 1, 2015

Letters from the Dead pt. 38

“How sad.”
Leah shook her head. 

I had updated her on Sebastian.
In the privacy of my own home talking to someone who I knew wouldn’t judge me, I broke down crying.

Seeing Sebastian like that, hearing his story, it broke my heart.
I was terrified for what would happen to him if Tommy actually did show up.
Would he even care?

“Maybe Sebastian finally caught a break.”
Leah looked down at her glass, swirling the chardonnay.
“He isn’t scared anymore, at least.”

I finished my glass and poured another, grateful that I had picked up a second bottle on my way home. 

For a brief moment I agreed with Leah.
Madness seemed like a step up.

Maybe I would enjoy madness.

“That guilt he has been carrying around inside of himself. It must have been devouring him, mind, body and soul.”
Leah placed her glass down on the table.
“Guess he just couldn’t handle facing it.”

Leah’s words made me pause.
The wine was clouding my mind, and I couldn’t fully grasp why they bothered me, but they did.

“Guilt can be a very powerful thing.”

Leah smiled at me, but she wouldn’t look me in the eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment