Friday, May 8, 2015

Letters from the Dead pt. 40

I approached her after she was done talking to Sebastian.
I had seen her around, but she had never been in front of my desk, so I didn’t know her name.

“Trisha.  Trisha King.”
She smiled at me and batted her eyes.
She was playing sweet.

I never trusted sweet. 

I asked what she had said to Sebastian.

“Oh, nothing.  I just asked who his date was to the dance.”

Tommy DeMarco.
He’s coming back.

I asked her to be extra careful with Sebastian. 
He was still mourning the loss of his friend.
It had been hard on him. 

Something in the way she looked at me, at the way her smile twitched at the edges, told me she was well aware of that fact. 

I’ll be there in time for the big dance.
Cherish’s face flashed into my mind.

“Are you okay?”
I didn’t buy Trisha’s concern for one minute.

Suddenly, I realized that she looked familiar to me, but I couldn’t figure out where I had seen her before. 
Not in the halls.
Not even as a student. 
The face was older the last time I saw it. 

Somehow it was older.

I couldn’t remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment