Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Ruins pt. 33

We stopped to rest alongside a stream. 
The water was clear and clean.
Fish swam by us, their scales a rainbow of reflected light. 

I sat next to Doug, away from the group.
He had been quiet the entire walk.
While the rest of us had looked at the forest with wide eyes filled with wonder, Doug seemed lost in his own head.

I asked him what was wrong.

“I swore I would never set foot in this city again.”

Why?

“I have my reasons. I… I don’t know if those reasons are even still out here, but if they are, I’m not sure I want to face them right now.”

I reminded him that he had faced demons. 
Not the internal kind, or the personal kind, but literal demons.
Big slimy things with tentacles. 

He laughed at me.
“Some things are scarier then demons.”

For the life of me, I couldn’t figure out what those “things” were.

No comments:

Post a Comment