Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Ruins pt. 34

When we continued our trek I made my way up to the front of the party, next to Alana. 
She smiled at me, that beautiful smile. 

I watched, as the sunlight breaking through the tree cover danced across her rich, brown skin.
I watch her muscles work as she walks, strong and solid, but each movement sleek and feline.

“Are you going to speak to me, or just stare?”
Alana poked me.
“Remember what Nora said. It isn’t polite to stare.”

I stammer about, apologizing. 
I couldn’t remember the last time I had seen beauty.
Yep, I said that out loud.

I could feel my cheeks growing hot.
It was like high school all over again, but this time the world really was ending.
Or had ended.

“Listen, I know you and your friends have been through a lot, so I’ll let the social awkwardness slide. Just don’t get any ideas.”
She cocked an eyebrow, her lips curling into a sly smile.
“These muscles aren’t just for show.”

I laugh.
I believe her, one hundred percent. 

The sly smile turns into a grin, and she gently claps my shoulder.

No comments:

Post a Comment