Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Eye See You: The Last Days of Janelle pt. 11

I sleep for a few hours.
Long enough for the sun to set. 

When I wake up, the shadows…
No, they are too solid to be shadows.
They have form now, and a hint of depth. 
They are just forms though. 
All the same form, actually. 
Each form a replica of the last.
I examine them.  
They examine back… I think. 
They have no eyes.
Hard to tell if they are watching you when you can’t see where they are looking.

I have a staring contest with an eyeless foe. 
I lose. 

I think my fear has suddenly been replaced by madness.
I prefer the madness.

My phone vibrates.
I check it, out of habit, and because I know that ignoring it won’t make my problem go away. 

“The end is near.”

I respond.  I know.

“Will there be a light at the end of the tunnel for you, Janelle?” 

I doubt it. 

He, she, it, whatever the Unknown Sender is, rewards me.  He sends me an address. 

Randy’s address.

No comments:

Post a Comment