Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Ruins pt. 14

The sky is still a hazy blue as we wake up. 

The woman, whose name I learned is Kay, takes lead. 
“Pack up only what you need.  We have a trek ahead of us.” 

I help Nora collect a few pieces of clothing that we found around the abandoned store.
She picks a bag, a bright green backpack. 
To her, it’s a treasure.  To me it’s a reminder of a life that she will never get to live.

I spot something underneath an overturned display. 
A rag doll, and after a little dusting, it appears to be in perfect condition. 

I hand it to her, saying it’s a friend for her journey.
She seems to light up as she hugs the doll. 

No matter what I will make sure that this little girl has the best life possible.

My mission gives me purpose, and that purpose makes the long walk ahead of me seem less terrifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment