Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Ruins pt. 17

“We can head north, take one of the off ramps.”
One of the men, Doug, is speaking. 

The other man, the man who didn’t want to leave, is just watching the changing, pulsing shadows ahead of us.

“That would be a great idea, except we are on foot, and walking that far could cost us daylight.”
Kay is yelling.

I’m watching the other man, Lance, I think.
He takes a step forward. 
He doesn’t look back. 
He screams, and runs towards the tunnel. 

Kay and Doug take off after him.
“What the…” 
“We don’t know what’s in there!”

I… I don’t know what to do. 

I watch as Lance vanishes into the darkness, and not long after Kay and Doug follow him.

I look down at Nora, at her big, scared eyes.
We are alone.
Being alone is not a good thing. Not in the city. Not even during the day.

I take Nora’s hand.  I ask if she’s ready.
She nods.
She’s trying to be brave.


I scoop her up in my arms, and we start running.

No comments:

Post a Comment