Friday, April 24, 2015

Letters from the Dead pt. 36

I played along. 
What other option did I have?

I sat by Sebastian’s bedside, his bandaged hand clutching mine. 

“You can’t tell anyone this, Miss Williams, but…”
He paused, looking at the door, and then leaning in he began to whisper softly to me.
“Tommy and I are in love.” 

I noticed that his eyes never seemed to focus. 
They almost seemed to be vibrating in his skull, darting quickly from side to side.

“That’s good Sebastian.”
I patted his hand.
“I’m glad you feel comfortable enough to tell me something so important to you.”

“I screwed up. I got scared, and I screwed up.  I… cheated.”
He shook his head.
“I thought Tommy had left me for good. I wouldn’t blame him, but…”
He took in a deep breath.
“He’s coming back.” 

His smile made my heart break.

All the pain and the guilt had done it.
They managed to crush him.

At least he was smiling.

I kept telling that to myself, over and over again, to keep the tears at bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment