Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Eye See You: Randy Connects pt. 11

As we are getting dressed I ask him about the earpiece.
I try my best to sound casual.
I say that I thought he would want to be less connected to his phone considering…
Well, considering our situation.

He doesn’t look at me. He quickly snatches the offending object up, and hides it in his pocket.

“I still need to work.”
He still doesn’t look at me.
“As crazy as things are, our lives haven’t stopped.  Not yet.” 

He sits on the edge of the bed, his back to me. 
I crawl to him, wrapping my arms around him.  I kiss his neck.

“I’m trying to figure out a way where we don’t have to worry about that.  Our lives stopping, I mean. “ 
I feel his shoulders tense.
“Not forever, but… You know what I mean.” 

I tell him I understand. 
He finally looks me in the eyes, and I see an intensity that I have never seen before.

“I will do whatever it takes to keep you safe.” 
Those words were meant to give me peace, but they didn’t.

They scared me.

No comments:

Post a Comment