Friday, July 31, 2015

Letters from the Dead pt. 64

I didn’t have time to react.
I didn’t even have time to protest.
My body was up, off the ground, and flying across the room. 
I spun, my arms lifting, my palms turning out.

I felt the hard wood of the crucifix.
The impact knocked the air from my lungs.
My vision went blurry.

This was really happening to me.

When my vision cleared I could see Cherish standing in front of me.

“Suffer for your guilt, and you shall be set free.”
Her voice was soft, playful. 

I was terrified.

I looked down at Cherish’s youthful, smiling face.
Only one word passed my lips.
Why?

“You are in the way.”
The smile grew, but there was no kindness behind it. 
“Wheaton Prep will be ours.  Another tool for us, just as The Church of the New Day will help expand our reach, so will your precious school.” 

For a brief moment the image of Cherish flickered, replaced by Trisha King.
Only for a moment, though.
Then I was left looking into the cold dead eyes of a person I had always secretly wished I would see again.


There was a loud whooshing sound, and I looked up just in time to see a large railroad spike flying through the room towards me.

No comments:

Post a Comment