Monday, March 16, 2015

Letters from the Dead pt. 25

In bed my mind slipped back to the day before Cherish’s funeral.
It was going to be a closed casket. 
I needed to see her face again. 
I need to look into that face, and tell her I was sorry. 

I had snuck into the funeral home late that night. 
I had found her, already nestled in her coffin. 

They had cleaned her up, but it hadn’t helped. 
Her neck was purple and bruised.
It seemed cocked at an odd angle.
Her face, her beautiful, innocent face, was bloated, the tongue hanging heavy out of her mouth. 
They had yet to sow her eyes shut, and I could see that where there had once been whites, it was now a vibrant red. 

I fell to my knees in front of that coffin. 
I wept.  I begged her to forgive me.
I cried for her to come back.


Who knew that fifteen years later my prayers would be answered?

No comments:

Post a Comment