Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Ruins pt. 11

The department store stood on the corner of two streets with names that no longer mattered. 

Rotted bodies littered the sidewalk, mixed with trash and bits of debris. 
At first the sight was horrifying, but today it was just another part of the scenery. 

“This’ll do.”
A woman spoke.  I didn’t recognize her.  She was older, maybe in her fifties. 
Her face was worn, freckled and leathered. 
Her hair was gray, the red tips telling me that she had dyed her hair in her previous life.

Who had she lost?
It pained me that wondering what a person had lost was the first thought that entered my mind.

“Top floor, board up the windows, should be safe.”
A man, Paul, I think. 

We agreed.  We had found our temporary home.

The sun was already setting on the horizon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment