Friday, March 20, 2015

Letters from the Dead pt. 26

The next day Sebastian didn’t come to school. 
I cancelled my appointments, and found his home address in the school directory. 
My gut was telling me that he shouldn’t be left alone.

His house was twenty minutes from the school.
It was a proper, white-sided ranch with a manicured lawn. 
Sebastian’s car was the only one in the driveway.

I knocked on the front door.
It creaked open with the gentle tap of my knuckle. 
I stepped inside, calling out his name. 

There was no response.
I stepped deeper into the house.
I could hear running water. 
I rushed towards the sound. 

In the upstairs bathroom Sebastian sat shirtless on the floor. 
His hands were submerged in the bathtub, the water turning red. 
He was still conscious, but just barely. 
I rushed to him, pulling his hands out of the water. 
His wrists looked like hamburger meat. 
No clean slashes, but hack marks.

I applied pressure with two towels and called 911.
He looked at me, his eyes pleading with me to let him die. 

I couldn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment