Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Eye See You: Infection pt. 9

The funeral for my dad was held four days later.  My mom and I had skipped the formalities of a wake, and decided to just have the memorial.  It wasn’t that we didn’t care, it was that neither of us could handle pretending that it was just some accident.  We both knew exactly what had happened. 

Someone, or something, had gotten through my dad’s tablet and killed him. 

At the funeral we gave weak smiles and nodded our heads as our friends and family paid their respects.  I was grateful when I finally was able to sit down during the service.  My foot hadn’t fully healed up from the night we had found him, and standing on the deep cuts had been agony. 

Again, when the service was over we stood and people paid their respects.

It was as the long line of people passed us that I felt someone place something in my hand.  I looked up to see a young black woman looking me the eye, her face pretty but serious.  She glanced from me to my mother. 

Something about her looked familiar.  I had seen her somewhere. I had…

Before I could react the young woman was gone.  No, I knew her name.  I had heard her name.  I had seen her face on my friend’s phones.  It was Dina. 

Dina had been part of that damned game, but somehow she had survived till now.  How?

I looked down at the note she had pressed in my hand. 

It read:
I’ll be in the parking lot after everything is done.  I know this isn’t the best time, but I believe you also know how urgent this is.
                                                      -Dina

“What is it?” My mom glanced over at me.


I just gave her the note, hoping she would understand.  She read it, nodded, and then returned to the line of mourners.

No comments:

Post a Comment