Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Ruins pt. 51

We all sat in the living room, leaving Rita to get some rest.

“I can gather a team.”
Alana was looking at Marcus.

“The people of New Eden are not ready for the world out there.”
Marcus shook his head.
“Tonight has them rattled enough.” 

“Then I’ll go.”
Doug stood. 
“I’ve been out there. I’ve seen plenty of those things, and I know what they can do.  I’ve survived this long.”

As scared as I was, I stood.  I offered myself up. 

“I can’t let you leave the barrier, or New Eden. Not now.”
Marcus was on his feet, reaching out for Doug.

“If we don’t go, then New Eden will fall. You cannot let that happen.”
Doug’s eyes glistened with tears.

Alana stood, placing her hand on her uncle’s shoulder. I could see her fingers squeeze gently.
“I’ll make sure he comes back to you.”

Marcus could only nod.

All four of us knew that there was no other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment