Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Eye See You: Mother's Day

“Loni, I need your help.” The voice over the phone sounded familiar. “It’s Richard. He’s acting all funny. I… I don’t know what to do.”

I held the house phone away from my ear, doing my best to listen over the distance. The voice on the other end of the line was Bea Rolland. Richard, was her husband.

“Weird how?” I tried to project, while sounding natural. It wasn’t easy, and I felt like I was screaming at my old friend. “Is he sick?”

“Maybe…” Bea’s voice wandered off. “I can’t explain it, he’s just… off.”

I got a sinking feeling in her gut. I had seen a few people who had seemed “just off”, and things hadn’t turned out so well for them.


“I’ll be over in twenty minutes.” I hung up, tossing the house phone away from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment