Monday, May 9, 2016

New Pom Pom Angel: Forbidden Kiss pt. 6

Dinner was really good. I hadn’t known what to expect. I had never had a demon cook for me before. Was their demon cuisine? I couldn’t really imagine what it could be. Maybe the still beating heart of the innocent? A freshly plucked soul boiled in the tears of the tortured damned? SPAM? I had no clue, and I really didn’t know how to ask.

When Pasta Puttanesca was placed on the table, with a side of golden brown garlic break I was pleasantly surprised. 

“This looks amazing.” My mouth was watering. “Where’d you learn to cook Italian?”

Dante smiled, taking the seat across from me. “I once hunted the soul of an Italian chef. Hunting souls requires a lot of recon work, and while I was watching him, I picked up on a few of his recipes.”

“Do you…” I paused, just a tad bit uncomfortable. “Did you end up getting his soul?”

Dante shook his head. “We may hunt the souls, but in the end, they have to give them to us willingly. I couldn’t corrupt him, not enough. So, he ended up getting away.”

“I’m sorry… I guess.”

“I didn’t feel bad, and I still don’t.” Dante didn’t even flinch. “Demons don’t have a high success rate. While there is plenty of evil in the world, and we are responsible for plenty of it, there is also a lot of good. More good, actually. I know I’m a demon, and I’m not supposed to say this, but… I kind of like it that way.”

“Well, I don’t know your sister all that well, but she seems more mischievous than outright evil.” I took a tentative bite of the pasta, and my mouth seemed to explode with delicious flavor. “You… well, you could be playing me completely, and you probably are, but I have to admit, you seem pretty nice.”

“Nice?” He cocked an eyebrow.

“You don’t understand boundaries, but you seem nice enough.” I gave him a half mile. “I just don’t know if I can trust you. How do I know you aren’t hunting my soul?”

“You don’t know,” he said. “I’m not, but I know that trust is not the first reaction you have when dealing with a demon.”

“So,” I cleared my throat, wanting to change the subject, “why did you decide to follow your sister here?”

“Boredom.” Dante shrugged. “I haven’t had a project in a while, and I thought I could tag along, see if I could get into any trouble while she worked.”

“I’m your trouble?”

“You could be.” Dante leaned forward. “You could be a lot of different things. All of that is up to you, though.”

I didn’t know how to respond to that. I didn’t really know what I wanted from Dante, or how I wanted the night to go. He confused me. He made my head spin, and he made me question every move he made. Part of that was because he was a demon, but the other part was because he made me feel something I haven’t felt in a long time. He made me feel that flutter in my stomach. He excited me.

It wasn’t just the way he looked, but the way he held himself. Every word out of his mouth seemed to tease me, and it was starting to drive me nuts. In a good way. At least, it felt like it was good. Maybe it was all wrong, and I was still messing around with a demon here. I could end up with my soul sucked out of me, and cast into the fiery pits of hell, but… what if he really wanted me? 

I hated admitting how much I wanted him to want me. To really want me. It felt so desperate.

“Where’d you go?” Dante put his hand on mine.

“Nowhere.” I shook my head. “You’re a really good cook.”

“You said that.” He smiled, and I could feel his fingertips gently caressing the top of my hand.


He was turning out to be my trouble. 

No comments:

Post a Comment