Monday, September 28, 2015

A Dark Lesson pt. 8

When Amanda gained consciousness she found herself lying on the couch in her office. Matt sat across from her, in the chair she usually used when she was working with clients.  He was watching her, his brow creased with worry. 
She sat up, wincing at the throbbing pain in her temples.  It felt like her brain was being boiled in her skull.  The pain made her stomach lurch, and she leaned forward, ready for her stomach to make an emergency evacuation. 
"Guess I don't have to ask you how you're feeling," Matt said as he moved from the chair to a spot on the couch next to her.  "I'm guessing you feel like hell, or maybe... shit." 
"How'd you know," she said, smiling.  She took a deep breath, and her stomach settled. 
"Call it husband's intuition," he said. 
"Did I hit my head?" asked Amanda.
"No," he said, "at least, Joanna said you didn't.  Clare told me... well, she told me a lot of stuff.  Most of it I don't get, a good chunk of it I think is crazy, but one thing she did say is that your brain is experiencing a time line combination, and that the process was... not very pleasant." 
"Time line combination?" Amanda looked at him. 
He shrugged. "You know how I feel about that supernatural, mumbo jumbo stuff. Most of it went over my head, anyways." 
Unlike Amanda, and the rest of her friends for that matter, Matt had never crossed into the other world.  His mind hadn't retained any of the memories of what had happened before their timelines had been altered.  In truth, her memories hadn't been all that clear in the first place, but she had retained a general idea of what had happened to her.  Now things were coming back to her, clearer and more real. 
Debbie...
Debbie had been there, in that dream.  No, not a dream, a memory.  She had been a part of what had happened to Amanda, and to the other women. 
She needed to talk to Debbie.

That was when they heard the scream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment