Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Ruins pt. 40

My parents died during the first attack. 
My dad was on the EL when the demons raided his train. 
There were no survivors. 
My mom died trying to get my sister and I to safety. 
She told us she loved us before slamming the fire door shut, and locking us in the security stairwell. 
The door wasn’t thick enough to muffle her screams. 
Then there was my sister.
The memory of what had happened to her was still too fresh. 
I just told Alana that she was gone. 
That I was alone.
That Nora, Kay, Doug and I were the last of our little…
Village? Colony?
Whatever it was didn’t really matter.
It didn’t exist anymore.
For two years our home had held strong.
All it took was one door left open a crack, and everything was taken away. 

I could see Kay and Nora at the top of the steps leading into Lilac Park. 
Even through their smiles I could sense their pain.
I felt it, too.

We had nothing but each other right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment