Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Ruins pt. 37

I tensed as Marcus rushed at Doug, waiting for first blow, or maybe a shout of anger.

Marcus wrapped his arms around Doug, squeezing him tight.
His large, muscular shoulders shook as he sobbed. 

“You’re alive.”
He was laughing and sobbing.
“I tried to get into the city.  I tried to find you.”

I watched Doug, not sure how he was going to react. 
I saw him lift his arms slowly, then gently he returned the embrace. 

It wasn’t a hug.
It was too intimate to just be a hug.
No, that was an embrace.
A familiar embrace by the look of it.

I glanced at Alana, not sure how she would be handling the scene.
She was beaming.

She was beaming even when her father pulled away from Doug, and then planted a heavy, long kiss on Doug’s lips. 


I hadn’t seen that one coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment