Thursday, January 21, 2016

Eye See You: Infection pt. 16

Before her body even hit the floor we were out of the diner and running.  I listened to hear if others were following us, but when I glanced over my shoulder I could see the remaining patrons standing, stock still, their eyes glued to Jimmy’s phone. 

Jimmy was smiling, looking from one person to the next.  “Soon you will all join us.  Soon you will all be part of Virus.” 

The phone began to spark, the white light growing brighter.  I stopped, turning, watching.  I needed to see what was going to happen next.  I could feel my mother tugging at my arm, trying to get me moving again.  Dina was yelling for me to get moving. 

I just watched. 

The light grew brighter, filling the entire diner.  There was a violent burst of energy, the picture windows of the diner blowing out, showering the street with glass.  Then it was over, and the diner appeared empty. 

I started back.  I knew better, I knew what had happened to those people, to Jimmy.  It was the same as had happened to Mr. Putterman and the waitress.  I just needed to see it.  I needed to be sure, though. 

When I was close enough, I peaked through the bent, now empty, window frames. 

Every single patron was lying on the floor, their arms and legs splayed out awkwardly.  No one moved. 

“Are they…” My mother was by my side. 

“Yes.”


Every single person’s face had collapsed inward.   

No comments:

Post a Comment