Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Rituals pt. 3

The church was wood, so we couldn’t build a fire inside, relying on moonlight and the small kerosene lantern that Alana had packed for light.  We kept the flame low, doing our best not to draw attention to our hiding place. 

We sat huddled between some pushed together pews, creating a small fort in the center of the main sanctuary. 

Doug was the first to fall asleep, leaving Alana and I on watch.

Alana passed me an apple.  She was smiling, and the flicker of the lantern caught her eye in a way that made my heart flutter.

Even after a full day of trekking through a barren wasteland couldn’t diminish her beauty. 

“You holding up okay?” She squeezed my shoulder.

I nodded. 

“You should get some rest.  We have a long day tomorrow.” 

As much as I wanted to argue with her, to stay up and talk with her, to learn more about her, I knew she was right. 

I was exhausted. 


Within minutes after lying down, I was asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment