Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Eye See You: Infection pt. 35

“I didn’t mean for it to get this out of hand.” Albert spoke softly, and I could feel his tears dampening my T-shirt. “It was the Void. It seemed to give me power.  I never felt power before.”

I bit my lip, doing my best not to speak. He needed to talk, and I needed to listen.  Maybe, just maybe, I could find out a way to stop what he had started. Maybe the clue was buried in his story.

“The game… the game was the Void’s idea.” He looked up at me. “It told me to collect souls for it. It promised me more power if I fed it.  So…”

Now that his face had been shaved, and his haircut, I could see that Albert wasn’t much older than I was. Sure, he looked beat to hell, but he couldn’t have been older than thirty-five.

“So, you fed it my friends. You fed it Dina’s friends.” The words escaped my mouth before I could catch them.

“The Void picked most of them.” Albert looked down at his hands as he spoke. “That’s how your friends got involved.” 

“And Dina and her friend Amy?”

“I…” he began gnawing on his lip. “I picked them because I thought they were pretty.”  He spit the word “pretty” out as if it even passing his lips filled his mouth with a vile taste. “Pretty girls never liked me, never paid attention to me. They ignored me, and nothing made me angrier than being ignored.”

I could feel the hatred burning in my gut.  One woman had died, and another had her life completely ripped apart, because this guy couldn’t find a date.  It was so fucking pointless. It was so fucking… fucked up.

“I’m a mistake.” Albert continued talking. “My whole life was a mistake, and the Void knew that. It knew that I would be easily led. It knows everything about everyone, and it knew that I was weak.”

Before Albert could continue talking a large bang from the hallway made us both jump.  I got up, gently placing Albert on the bed. 

“It’s coming for me!” His voice was a ear piercing howl. 

I motioned for him to be quiet, and headed to the door.

When I looked into the hallway I had to bite back a scream.

No comments:

Post a Comment