Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Eye See You: Infection pt. 41

We hadn’t made it ten feet down the hall when we heard someone screaming, their bare feet slapping on the hard floor. They were coming towards us. From the sound of the screams I could tell it was a man.

“Oh God, leave me alone!” His voice was deep and ragged, as if he had been screaming for a long time. “Get the fuck away from me!”

I stood there, frozen.

The screaming man rounded the corner, and I could see him now. He was probably in his late twenties, early thirties. His face and hospital gown were streaked with blood, and I could see a loose IV tube dangling from one of his hands. He was spraying blood along the floor.

I tried to call out to him, but Albert grabbed my arm, yanking me behind a rolling stack of meal trays.

“What are you…” He cut me off.

“Look.” Albert pointed between two of the trays.

As I did I could see a doctor and another patient right behind the screaming man. They were on him in seconds.

If I had called out… But…
I needed to help.

“It’s too late for him.” Albert’s whisper was quick and frantic.

As I watched through the slats I realized how right Albert was.


No comments:

Post a Comment