Friday, April 8, 2016

Tentacle University 2: The Sorority pt. 8

Stephen sat on the steps of the Delta Alpha Kappa house, a cigarette discretely hidden between his fingers. He hadn’t smoked in years, but all this shit, everything that was going on with the Dean, and the rest of Greek Row, had finally driven him back to the habit.
“Is it really that bad?” Willard Canelli’s voice made Stephen turn. “I mean, you always struck me as Mr. Clean Living. Now I catch you with a cancer stick?”
Stephen just shook his head. “Yeah, I guess you could say it has gotten that bad. The meeting with the Dean was a dud, and I’m pretty sure that the other houses still think we posted all those pictures.” He took a small drag off his smoke. “Now I finally have a small idea of what kind of bullshit Rachel puts up with.”
Willard nodded, sitting on the steps next to him. He gently took the cigarette from between Stephen’s fingers, and took a drag.  Then, with a flourish, he flicked the cigarette out into the yard.
“Rachel does what she has to do for her house. She’s a strong leader, and she makes me realize that maybe I’ve been playing peace keeper for too long. Maybe it’s time for us to make a little noise.” Willard gave Stephen a quick clap on the back. “You still got all your research?”
He nodded. “I gave the Dean copies.”
“Smart man.” Willard smiled. “If the Dean won’t listen, then maybe the rest of the campus will. Give Rachel a call. Tell her we need to put our heads together if we want to put an end to this.”
All Stephen could do was smile, and deep inside, he was hoping that Rachel would listen to him.
-**-
Rachel picked up on the second ring.
“Who is this?” Her voice sounded tense.
“It’s Stephen.” He started speaking before she could cut him off. “Listen, Willard wants to have a little meeting. I told him what had happened with the Dean, and I think he has a plan.”
“Couldn’t you just tell me over the phone?” She sounded annoyed.
“If I knew it, I would, but Willard isn’t always the most talkative guy. So, be here by six?”
The line was silent, and for a brief moment Stephen thought that Rachel had hung up on him. Then she spoke.
“Alice and I will be there.” There was another long pause. “I hope this isn’t some trick.”
“No tricks, I promise.”

“Then I’ll see you at six.” She hung up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment