Thursday, June 2, 2016

Eye See You: Mother's Day pt. 4

I gave the door a single knock and waited. I normally never knocked, but today I had to be careful. I didn’t want to walk into… whatever was going on. I couldn’t take that shock.

Their door opened, and Bea poked her head out. She was smiling and wide eyed. It wasn’t a natural smile. It felt… plastic.

“Loni!” Her voice was too chipper. “Come on in.”

I followed her in the house, carefully reaching into my purse and wrapping my hand around my Taser.

It wasn’t just the attitude that was giving me pause. It was her clothes. She had on a floor length house dress and a heavy wool sweater. It had to be nearly seventy outside, and she didn’t have the air on in the house, and yet she wasn’t sweating.

“So,” I said, “you were saying that Richard was acting odd.”

“Oh yes.” She didn’t turn towards me when she spoke. “He just seems so… down. He hasn’t moved all morning. Just lying in bed. Won’t even talk to me.”

She led me towards the back of the house, towards the bedroom she shared with Richard.

“What do you want me to do?” I slowed my steps, building up a larger distance between the two of us.

She stopped in front of the door. “I was just thinking that maybe a little company might help perk him up.”

She gave the bedroom door a gentle push and it slowly creaked open.


I started screaming, and I feared I would never stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment