Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Rituals pt. 26

The flame didn’t dissipate. Instead, it spread, catching onto the wooden beams, and the wooden ceiling above us.

“This isn’t good.” I glanced around. The other vipers were either dead, or mostly dead. It was just me, and the burning building. “What do I do now?”

“Run,” was all Juktha said. Her voice boomed through my skull, and I instantly took off.

The basement was growing hot around me, and the fire was spreading quickly. I hoped the others hand made their way outside, because the last thing I needed was for one of them to come crashing through the already badly damaged floor.

I made it to the stairs, taking them two at a time, the fire lapping at my heels as I moved. Then I was upstairs. I turned, heading towards the front door, but found that the floor between the basement door and the front door was now engulfed in flames.

Shit, I thought to myself. What now?

“The window!” Juktha’s voice rang in my ears again.

I turned my head, and without thinking, I dove just as the rolling ball of green flame burst through the basement door and engulfed the entire room I had just been standing in.

The glass burst around me, and I could feel the heat of the explosion behind me. Then I was crashing into the ground, tucking into a roll, and praying that I didn’t break my neck. When I stopped rolling, and the world stopped spinning, I opened my eyes.

Missy, Alana and Doug were looking down at me.


They were smiling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment