Thursday, February 18, 2016

Eye See You: Infection pt. 24

When I saw the building I could hardly believe that Dina had lived there only a few weeks earlier. It was completely deserted, a few of the windows were smashed, and the door swung open and closed in the afternoon breeze.


It was more than just the building, though. The whole block seemed dead. No one was on the street, and the small lawns in front of the little houses and walk ups were all overgrown.


We both got out of the car, taking in our surroundings.


“Was it always like this?” I asked.


“No.” Her eyes were wandering across the deserted street. “This place was… lively. There were families and pets. Now it’s…”


“How long ago did you move out?” I closed my car door and started towards her old apartment building.


“Three weeks ago.” She was following behind me. “In three weeks this entire block died.”


Now that we were away from the car I finally noticed the smell.
Rotting flesh. Decay. Death.
The stench hovered over the whole block.


“I don’t think people moved out.” I stopped in front of the darkened doorway of the apartment building.


“I don’t either.”


We both shuddered.


No comments:

Post a Comment