Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Eye See You: Infection pt. 25

The inside of the building was dark and dusty. The smell of rot and decay was stronger, seemingly trapped in the decrepit structure. Behind the closed doors of the apartments I could hear the sounds of flies buzzing.


“His apartment was on third floor.” She started towards the stairs.


I stopped her, handing her a flashlight from the backpack slung over my shoulder. “You ready for this?”


“Do we have much choice?” She turned her flashlight on. “Virus reached New York today. Who knows how far it will get tomorrow.”


I couldn’t argue with her. This whole situation was escalating quickly. Fifty people, that we knew of, had died this morning several states away. Who knew how many blocks were like this one? Unseen, unreported and completely decimated.


We started up the steps, stopping briefly on the second floor to scan the hallway with our lights.


One of the apartment doors was open, a body lay half out. The skin was green and puffy, and flies clung to the collapsed flesh of the person’s face.


“Mrs. Harper.” Dina bit her lip. “She had two kids. Worked at the Walgreens down the street.”


“Do you want to check to see if her kids are…”


“I doubt it.” Dina started up the last flight of stairs.


I followed her, my fear growing with every step I took. We were close now. Maybe not to ending it, but to at least figuring out what the hell was going on.


No comments:

Post a Comment